| || || || |
In refereed Journals
- Optimal Taxation under Regional Inequality (with Vilen Lipatov and J.Malte Zoubek),2020, European Economic Review, forthcoming. An earlier version appeared as MAGKS Discussion Paper No. 13-2020.
- Tax pass-through in the European beer market (with Aria Ardalan), 2019, Empirical Economics, 1-22, https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s00181-019-01767-5.pdf. An earlier version appeared as University of Siegen Discussion Paper No. 189-19.
- Does Fiscal Oversight Matter? (with Desirée I. Christofzik), 2018, Journal of Urban Economics, 105, 70-87. An earlier version appeared as Working Paper 01/2018 of the German Council of Economic Experts.
- Competition for natural resources and the hold-up problem (with Carsten Hefeker), 2017, Canadian Journal of Economics/ Revue canadienne d'économique, 50(3), 871-888. An earlier version appeared as CESifo Working Paper No. 6120.
- The regional distribution of public employment: Theory and evidence (with Chiara Strozzi), 2017, Regional Studies, 51(7), 1100-1114.
- Cross-border shopping and the Atkinson-Stiglitz theorem (with Bernhard Koldert), 2013, International Tax and Public Finance, 20 (4), 618-630.
- Federalism and accountability with distorted election choices, 2010, Journal of Urban Economics, 67, 2, 239-247. An earlier version appeared as CESifo Working Paper No. 2789.
- Federalism, weak institutions and the competition for foreign direct investment (with Kai A. Konrad and Christos Kotsogiannis), 2009, International Tax and Public Finance, 16, 105-123.
- Time consistency and bureaucratic budget competition (with Kai A. Konrad), 2008, Economic Journal, 118(January), 1-15. In 2006, an earlier version appeared as CESifo Working Paper No. 1791.
- FDI and the dark side of decentralisation (with Kai A. Konrad and Christos Kotsogiannis), 2007, Economic Policy, 49, 5-70.
- Strategic complementarity in the dynamic private provision of a discrete public good, 2007, Journal of Public Economic Theory, 9(4), 699-710.
- Monopoly Pricing with Negative Network Effects: The Case of Vaccines (with Robert Nuscheler), 2006, European Economic Review, 50(4), 1061-1069. An earlier version appeared as WZB Working Paper No. SP II 2003-06.
- Employment protection and product market competition, 2006, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 108(2), 339-352. An earlier version appeared as WZB Working Paper No. FS IV 02-31.
- Federal tax autonomy and the limits of cooperation (with Kai A. Konrad and Christos Kotsogiannis), 2006, Journal of Urban Economics, 59, 317-329. An earlier version appeared as WZB Working Paper No SP II 2005-18.
- Union strategy and optimal direct taxation (with Kai A. Konrad), 2006, Journal of Public Economics, 90 (2), 393-402. An earlier, more extended version appeared as IZA discussion paper No. 1545 under the title “Union strategy and optimal income taxation”.
- A note on the determinants of labour share movements, 2003, Economics Letters, 81 (1), 9-12. An earlier Version appeared as WZB Working Paper No. FS IV 02-30.
Recent Working Papers
Contributions to collected volumes
- Reforming the business environment in Afghanistan: Institutional reforms first (with Reinhard Palm, Shafik Gavhari, and Suleman Fatimies), in: Kurz, Sonja and Alena Fröde (Eds.): Promoting the business and investment climate, GTZ, Eschborn.
Publications in applied journals (in German)
- Arbeitszeit und Umverteilung – Gewerkschaftsstrategie im Wohlfahrtsstaat (with Kai A. Konrad), 2005, WZB-Mitteilungen, 109, 21-25.
- Konkunkturpolitik kann Strukturreformen nicht ersetzen (with Kai A. Konrad), 2005, Welttrends - Zeitschrift für internationale Politik und vergleichende Studien, 13(47), 111-114.
- Die Strategie des Impfens (with Robert Nuscheler), 2004, WZB-Mitteilungen, 103, 29-31.
- Kündigungsschutz und Strategische Interaktion im Wettbewerb, 2004, WZB-Mitteilungen, 104, 36-38.